Monday, September 21, 2009

Sunday

It felt wonderful to sleep in on Sunday morning. I woke up around 7:00 am (10:00 am my time), had a banana and some tea (unphotographed) before heading out for a 10 mile run around Balboa Island. It was perfect!

When I got back to my sister's place she had homemade Swiss muesli and a double espresso waiting for me. Kellie's husband Tom is Swiss and she has spent some time living in Switzerland herself so she knows how to make excellent Swiss muesli.

Start with this...



Mix in some yogurt, fruit, fruit juice and milk...



The result didn't photograph well, but it was delicious!


After breakfast and a shower we headed to Trader Joe's to pick up some snacks for an afternoon Duffy boat ride around Newport Harbor. I purchased these treats to take home with me since we don't have Trader Joe's in Florida (BOO!!!!). '

Chocolate covered sunflower seeds, blueberry flax, and "guilt free" almond biscotti cookies.


We took our TJ snacks to the dock and hopped on a Duffy boat!



Here's Captain Swiss Cheese (Tom) and Denny.


My mom, my sister and me.


We had a delicious assortment of snacks, including pita & hummus, caprese salad, fruit salad, lemon blueberry scones, whole grain bread & cheese, wine, and sparkling water.


We saw many beautiful homes, boats and several free loaders!


Kellie killed the wine as we were docking at the end of the tour.


Photo opp in the Duffy boat rental parking lot!

After relaxing and a quick nap, we headed down to Crystal Cove for dinner. Tom took my photo under the martini flag. Apparently it's an old tradition dating back to the 1920s to salute the martini flag at sunset (it's hard to see the flag, it's the black one wrapped around the pole under the US flag).


And I took his photo on the beach.


Our table had a beautiful view of the sunset.


For dinner I ordered the Kabocha Squash Ravioli.


With a glass of pinot noir.


And one piece of bread.


My dinner was excellent! About four raviolis on a huge bed of green beans and carrots. It was the perfect dinner.


On the walk back to the car we had to pass through a tunnel covered in eco-friendly graffiti.


Life really IS beautiful!


And bunny knows best...

1 comments:

Les said...

Looks like you're having a great time. Hurry home!