Monday, September 28, 2009

Poor Me

I'm having a "poor me" day for some reason. Not sure why! I've been grumpy. I tried to cure it with food and yoga. Breakfast was a wonderful bowl of Cascadian Farm Organic Hearty Morning high fiber cereal topped with a sliced banana, a sprinkle of almonds and 1% organic milk.


My bowl of cereal tasted so good, but I still got hungry for lunch about three hours later. I reheated some leftover mac & cheese and the rest of the roasted veggies.


A few hours later I was hungry yet again! So I pulled a very small peanut butter blondie out of the freezer and enjoyed it with a crumbled square of extra dark chocolate.


I also had a juicy peach.


After my evening yoga class I stopped for a veggie wrap on my way home. I wanted something easy. To lighten it up I ordered it on a whole wheat wrap with 1/2 of the cheese and no dressing or oils. I got a small bag of Sun Chips for some salt and crunch.


Before I sign off I thought I'd address a question I've been asked a few times now -- How do you freeze a banana? When my bananas get really brown and spotty, it's time to freeze 'em for use in my smoothies. I peel them, break them in half, then put them in ziploc freezer bags before tossing them in the freezer. The browner the banana, the sweeter it will be. So although a banana may not be suitable for direct consumption, it's a wonderful smoothie addition once frozen.

I freeze other fruits as well, mostly berries. I recently bought a huge container of strawberries and was only able to eat about 1/2 of the container before they started looking questionable. So I washed them, dried them, then put them in a ziploc freezer bag. It's a great way to extend the life of your perishable fruit.

0 comments: