Saturday, September 05, 2009

Long Run Saturday

I rolled out of bed this morning and onto the couch with a cup of tea, a blanket, my book and my dog. After about 30 minutes of snuggling, puppy kisses, and reading I threw on my running clothes, quickly ate a yogurt and hit the road for a 12 mile run.


I didn't eat anything during my run and my stomach was much happier this time. During my last 12 mile run I ate some sports jelly beans and they didn't agree with me. I did, however, fill my water belt with a mix of G2 and water. In fact, I picked up some more G2 at Costco today. It seems to keep me hydrated without upsetting my stomach.

After showering, we headed out for lunch. I had a veggie and black bean quesadilla.


We ran a few errands, including the mall and Costco, and on the way home we swung through the Starbuck's drive through for a pick-me-up. I got a plain latte.


Look, new cup!


Several hours later I decided to start dinner. I was hungry and knew dinner would take a while so I had a handful of raw almonds to tide me over.


Dinner was a success! I tried a new recipe, Alton Brown's Savory Polenta. It was fabulous. Instead of chicken stock I used veggie stock and I cut the amount of butter in half. Other than that, I followed the recipe and was very pleased with the results. I love soft, creamy polenta.

I had enough leftovers that I was able to chill a good portion in a pie pan for later use. I will cut the chilled polenta into whatever shape I desire and brown in a bit of olive oil. I also made a dish of sauteed carrots, tri color bell pepper, fresh corn, cherry tomatoes, and kidney beans. Simple and delicious.


I haven't eaten this yet, but I prepared a dessert for myself to enjoy later. I'm full right now, but intend to eat this peanut butter blondie with a crumbled square of extra dark chocolate in an hour or so. I'm sure I'll also have a cup of peppermint tea to wash it down. Gotta love long run days -- I can eat dessert and not worry about it! And, I'm going on a long bike ride followed by a swim lesson tomorrow, so I'll easily burn this off.


I have a 700 page book that I'm only half way through and I'm supposed to have it ready by MONDAY. I'd better get back to it!

3 comments:

Tanya said...

I like the new web page. Cool sunglasses. Oh ya let's stay on track, the food also looked really good.

Julie said...

Thanks Tanya! I'm working on a bigger re-design of my blog so you'll probably see more changes later on.

Les said...

The polenta and sauteed veggies look delicious. I'm going to try this one soon!