Sunday, September 27, 2009

Sunday Night Blues

I can't believe the weekend is almost over. They go by so fast, don't they? I woke up early to get our bikes ready and loaded on my car so we could head to the "trail" for our bike ride! I enjoyed some hot tea in my new mug while getting organized.

We rode our bikes on a lovely road right by our house that's never been open to vehicles due to a dispute over who will pay for the final 1/4 mile that's needed to connect it to a toll road. It cost millions to construct and it's been used only by cyclists for years.


We saw a group of about five deer running along the road, a giant snake slithering down the bike lane, and a medium sized alligator relaxing on the shoulder. And there's a creepy abandoned house along the road, too.


After riding for about an hour we stopped for a refreshment before heading home to shower. I had a small cappuccino.


We had to rush to get ready and out of the house to meet a friend for breakfast. I ordered a veggie omelet with a small stack of blueberry pancakes instead of toast. I ate about 60% of everything.


The pancakes appear larger in the photo. They're really small pancakes.


After doing some shopping we headed home and I was hungry for a snack -- honeycrisp apple and some raw almonds.


I suddenly got the urge to make soft pretzels. I used this recipe as my guide and instead of the bread flour I used 2/3 cup whole wheat flour and 1/3 cup ground flax. Here they are before going into the oven.


And here they are hot out of the oven topped with a light smear of butter and sea salt. Dipped in horseradish mustard they were comforting and tasty, but not quite the same as Auntie Anne's pretzels. I need to play with the recipe to figure out how to boost the pretzel flavor.


And for dinner I reheated a small bowl of leftover mac & cheese topped with veggies.

Laundry calls....

0 comments: